Wednesday, January 25, 2006

New Year Comin Up

Yes, the Asian or Lunar new year is this Monday here in Korea. This morning I got to work, and the director said, "Wendy, come here." Of course I'm so silly to think, okay what did I do, and he brought me into the 'office' and pointed to a 'group' of bags on the floor, and said "Happy New Year!!!" How sweet was that. So it was what I thought it would be.

Apparently the gifts that are given are either a gift set of no less than two or four tubes of toothpaste and at Least 4 bars of soap, and 3 plus body washes. Yep. Happy New year!
But then the other alternative is an alcohol set of some sort. One BIG bottle, or 3 or so bottles of nice Korean rice or berry wine or someting complete with little 'tea' cups. The cups are NEVER in groups of four, only three or two or maybe five. Yep. Four is a BAD number. Doesnt matter if you have 2 couples coming over....hmm that's a thought. I wonder if Koreans do invite 2 couples cuz the number. Huh.

The New year here is just like Christmas here. They told us at school today that a lot of Korean women work so hard that afterwards they have to go to the hospital or take medication!! As in cooking and serving and entertaining, etc... Wowzers!

Anyway....I wonder if Sex and the City is really a good show for me to watch. Its about one of the only tv shows i really enjoy because yes, I can identify. But my gosh!

Well, I wanted to go to Seoul for New Years, but I thik I'll have to stay home. Maybe go to the coast or something would be fun. Yah, I might just do that. A trip by myself perhaps. One to do some artwork. Yah, i think it's about time I do that. And I can maybe afford sometime to get an EASEL! Wooohooo! I can hardly wait.

So taekwondo is going well. I'm so glad that I'm taking it. It's moving along quite fast considering. Apparently in Korea the levels go along quite a lot faster than in the 'Americas'. I'll be hopefully getting my yellow belt next month. Yay! But i've got a lot to learn though. I'm so glad to be exercising though. A new obsession...

So I've finished reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" and I can hardly wait to go see it in the theatres this weekend. Yep, its just opening here this weekend. What is that, at least a month later than Canada? I think so.

Cats *the Broadway play* is coming at the beginning of Feb too. I hope I can go and see that. We'll see.

Well, time to go to bed. Talk soon....

No comments: