Monday, January 09, 2006

Guess what?

I just signed up for Taekwondo last night!! John and I are going up for battle I guess...unless there are other students in the class. Ha ha! I'm actually going to do it! The instructor is a 'master' of taekwondo, and he had quite a few medals on his wall. He is also in university for takwondo. I gotta figure out how to spell that right. We met the head instructor as well. They take takwondo very seriously it seems. But lightly as well. We went in with our slippers into the office, and they sat us down and were very hospitable. The price is really good too. 40,000 won for a month of classes 2x a week. Apparently its usually 70,000 won for classes every day a week I think, or its that price usually for what we are going to take. Either one. We start next Monday night, and we get our uniforms then too. Woohoo! I cant' believe I'm really goign to learn it in Korea!

The younger master said it will be hard. I'm not sure if that's physically hard or hard because of our language differences. Apparently they will teach us mostly in Korean, and I hope so because that means I'll learn words in Korean for things faster. Yayyy.

I'm excited because I have wanted to do this for a long time, but it was always too much. And also to get into shape. I have lost a bit of weight because of walking and all the stairs here. Probably because I was sick too. So I feel stronger to start doing something like this.

It's funny seeing how the kids all of a sudden whip out takwondo moves. Some of them are pretty good at it and could probably really hurt you if they wanted to!

I'm reading the book 'Memoirs of a Geisha' that I got in Seoul. I've been wanting to read it for a couple years, so I'm finally doing it. Especially because the movie is coming out. I'm learning a lot about geishas and its interesting now that I've been to Japan, and I'm learning the customs of Korean and Asian culture by living here, and understanding things about the story that I wouldnt completely if I wasnt here. It's interesting that I'm living here and happen to be reading this book here.

Well, gotta run to get ready for the next class. Later!

No comments: