Sunday, January 08, 2006

Land of Slippers

Ha ha, that title cracks me up. Its so true though...and I'm really liking it. Makes you feel so much cleaner. Anyway...
This weekend was quite uneventful. Stayed home all day Saturday. Did nothing. Was quite nice. EVer since I've come back from Seoul, I've been feeling really quite strange- like I'm in a daze or something. Its a combination of everything I suppose. Grandma passing on, and it feels so disconnected from the whole situation. Not sure how to deal with it, or how to make it feel real. Not that I really want it to feel real, but its just part of dealing with it generally I suppose.

Also, I've been dealing with the fact that it's time to work again. I like working with the kids, and I'm glad I'm doing it. It's such a learning experience. One, working with kids, and two, working with the Korean culture and ways of doing things. All the unspokens, and the things spoken, and the read between the lines kindof stuff. In a way, I really like the fact that I dont understand Korean. It just helps me not to worry about stuff I really dont need to, or dont need to know. If it was in Canada, I'd probably be all stressed about things I dont really need to....so there!

Also, I am just realizing that I'm really here, and I'm living my life in Korea for the rest of the year. It's going by fast, but it's going to be a while too. There's some important people that are in Canada that I was wondering, how on earth am I going to do this? Another 10 months? But then I talk to them, and I get all the encouragement I need to go through with it. Its funny. I knwo I've come here for a reason, and I'm so glad I have. I look at the whole world so much differently. Especially the people who have immigrated to another country such as Canada, and have uprooted their whole lives to start in another one. Wow...its hard, and I have respect for them.

I really gotta sleep soon, it's almost 2 am...but I slept in so much this morning, that I think it's going to balance out.

The other thing is, I really need to learn Korean. I need to buckle down and take the time to learn it. And I have to determine what is the best way to do that. I got a few books in Seoul that are helping a lot. (Mike, I did get that one by Stephen Revere, so we'll see-thanx for the reference). I also got the book Memoirs of a Geisha, and I'm enjoying getting into a book that I really like to read. That hasnt happened in a long time. And I can hardly wait to see the movie when it comes out.

Okay, here goes another week. Hopefully I'll feel more grounded and more myself soon. I think I have to go and exercise more is the deal. Tone up and everything. SO glad I'm losing weight...and today I found some pants that will fit me! WHew!

Gnite!

No comments: