Saturday, January 14, 2006

MAN I love Korea!!

Yah, you heard me! I had such a good day today! It was so much fun. Well, I went to church to hang out with my Korean friends. THey are sooo super sweet. So hospitable. I got there just as church was out...and everyone was eating in the 'cafeteria'. They invited me in, and I got to eat lunch Korean potluck style. YUM. Rice and veggies, and Korean radish soup, that I thought was potatoes, but apparently not! And I think one of the best things about Korean food that I like is the bean or pepper paste. It's so yummy with veggies and stuff. With anything, really.

Anyway....it just so happened that there was a wedding after! So we went upstairs, and after a few minutes of people singing some hymns, the bride and groom walked up the aisle hand in hand, and 15 mins later it was all done! The only decorations were balloons in flower formations on the aisles! Oh, and the prettiest flower arrangements in the front. I'll try to add a picture. It was quite casual, really. The groom wore white gloves, and so the the bride in her traditional Korean dress in bright yellow and magenta. Afterwards one of the kids went up and gave her a bouquet of roses, and that was that. Everyone paraded by to congratulate them, and then the pictures. One of the girls there grabbed my hand, and sat me right beside the pastor and the bride, and everyone else sat behind. Wow...that was cool. I felt just like I could report that on National Geographic or something. It was just like some stories I've read there, except I'd have to sharpen up my writing A LOT! Ha ha. Then they brought in a cake, and moved the pulpit to the front in the middle, and put the cake up on it for a cake cutting picture- and that was that.

Then we had our meeting for next weekends camp at the church. I will help out with the kids and English stuff. Sounds allright to me. It was interesting sitting in on a meeting in Korean! Everyone sitting on the 'ondol' or heated floor.

Then later in the afternoon I went for a walk down Art street. I stopped in my favorite store that has gorgous tea pots and cups and everything you'll want for a tea party! I talked to the lady there, and I was talking to her (she had surprisingly good English) about tea ceremonies, and it turns out that she teaches it! Apparently it takes a year to learn! Wowzers! I wonder what it all involves! So now I've got a really good contact to see a real tea ceremony! Woohoo!

Then I went and decided to really get some paper that I saw before. It turns out that a sheet of paper that is approx 3.5 feet by 30" is a little more than a dollar! The fancy stuff too. So I got 6 of them for 8000 won. Woohooo! I walked out feeling like I just got gold or something. So now they're up on my wall cuz I didnt have anything on the walls, and I was feeling like I needed something. And now I have something that feels authentic too. It's so gorgeous!

Then I went by a shoe store, and so far I've been just pretty much ignoring them because the largest size is 250 (or 250 mm) and I'm 255. GRRRR. But I just thought, I'm gonna try these boots on for the fun of it to see if I can possibly fit into them, and I really didnt expect them to fit but GUESS WHAT? They DID! So I got a really cool pair of boots for so-called half price for 40,000 won. Man I love this! I think that just made my whole month! I found shoes that Fit me in Korea!

Then I met up with the ppl from church again, and we went to see Narnia. That was a good movie! It was just as I hoped it would be. What a symbolic story. The graphics were great. Sometimes I feel like I'm in Narnia here in Korea! Like a wonderland that I cant believe I'm really living here! I'm soooo grateful for the opportunity to finally experience another culture in another country altogether.

Oh, before we went to the movie, we went into a sticker picture store. Yep, they have stores here so you can go and dress up and take your picture with your friends. I've been wanting to for a long time, so I finally did. Yay!!! It was so much fun! I'll try and post that sometime too.

Okay, I really gotta sleep now. It's 3 am! I just cant seem to sleep at normal times lately. I think I need some really good exercise. I can hardly wait to start taekwondo on Monday!
Goodnight!

No comments: