Friday, January 20, 2006

Monoculturalism

Yep. I think that's the biggest thing about being here in Korea. The MONO culturalism. Everyone looks the same, dresses the same, acts the same...eats the same.... and I wonder if they think of doing anything different. And actually I'm somewhat appreciative. But I wouldnt trade it for the opportunity of knowing the things about different cultures and the people in them like I do...and that's what I love about life. And the fact that after all of that...we're all the same: humans. We all feel the same things generally, and act the same way generally, and love, and cry, and eat, and sleep...yep. We might think and act differently in some ways, like personal space or our methods of speaking or reacting or presenting ourselves to the world, or behaviours towards our family and friends and the outside world...but really, we're all the same species. Just different shades.

So, now that I've been in another far off land for almost 2 and a half months, coming on 3 already, its so interesting to observe what I've learned, and how I've become comfortable walking outside, and reminding myself that I am indeed in another country, and I love it. I can explore new things, and practice and learn another language on the basis of survival, and not just pure interest or to brag. ;) heh heh.

It's so much fun to see our differences too. Sure, they might not be quite what I'm used to, but that's the beauty of it. As far as I'm concerned, God has a great sense of humor! Mr. Creative Himself.

So, it was John's birthday today. He's 25. What a great age to be teaching English in a foreign country. Man, I wish I could have done this at his age. Anyway, I made him wear the crown that they have the kids wear when they have their birthdays. The staff at school sang him happy birthday...and tonight we went out to a place called Miller Time and they all sang him happy birthday in a Korean way of doing it, and they got Liz up with John 'on stage' to dance for the whole place! Ha! All the koreans watching the birthday boy dance! They gave us hats to put on so we could all get a Polaroid taken, and of course I wore the big a** fro! Woohooo!
Koreans are such hospitable and wonderful people.

Oh, which reminds me, they have a TV program here where a guy has one rose....no, it's not 'the bachelor', and about 10-15 girls have to dance as sexy as they can for him, and then he gives the rose to the sexiest dancer! haha! It's quite fun and entertaining to watch...and yes, sometimes embarrasing.

So without further adieu, I'm going to have to go to bed. I have volunteered to help at church tomorrow. Yep, I'm the English teacher there as well! Ha ha.

I hope I can get the movie of John on here....if not, I'll ahve to find another way of sharing a Korean style birthday with y'all.

Later!

No comments: