Sunday, May 14, 2006

Update

Well last weekend I went to Seoul to visit Candice. I had planned on going to Gyonngu (sp) but by the time we got to the bus station, there was a 2 hour wait for the next one, and time was ticking. I was going to go with John, but he wanted to go to Daegu, and I wanted to go to Seoul. So there.
I love last minute stuff. Keeps you on the edge...and sometimes drives the 'planner' people nuts. Ha (evil laugh).
So...I got to Seoul, hopped on the subway to Insa-dong (the art community or 'Commercial Drive' of Seoul). I love going places by myself, cuz I just have the opportunity to eat everything up sensually-visually, aurally, all of that. And discovering things by just daring to go places like back alleys and geting pursefully lost almost. Its that sense of adventure that gets me everytime. It's the feeling I live for. That keeps me going. Cuz there's more out there!

On the way into Insa-dong I had to find the way in from the subway station. There was a sign that said 'Insa-dong' but I wasnt sure. It led into back alleys or pretty much pathways between buildings that were about 4 or 5 feet wide. Paved with brick, and the houses in lots of wood and plaster. The patterns are beautiful, and I love the lanterns and lamps that are in the windows. Mostly made of a wood or metal frame and covered in paper or a fabric that is very simple. And the hight of the buildings are quite low, and the windows feel like they're at a height where u can almost look in. Except there are wood shutters on them and maybe paper or curtains. LOVE it. Oh, and the alleys dont go straight! They have corners and angles that dont seem to make sense, but then that makes it more fun.

One corner I came around, I saw an open wooden heavy gate, and a really nice looking courtyard. At first I thought it was a house, and then maybe a restaraunt, but it ended up being some meditation place that was really popular, and kindof a hidden treasure. That's what it felt like to me anyway. If I didnt have to go meet Candice and Luca, I might have stayed. I'll have to go and look at it some other time I guess. It felt really peaceful and I loved the design of the courtyard, and the house around it. There were windows and a patio all around too. Pine trees and shrubs. That's the thing I like about Asian style is that everything seems to be suited to 'human' or anthropometric proportions. You can identify with it.

I met Candice and her new boyfriend Luca, and we hung out a little bit, then they had to run, and I had the chance to hang out in Insa-dong. I was going to go somewhere else..but the time it takes to travel around Seoul...I might as well stay there and soak it up.

We had mentioned going to a traditional tea house later, but I ended up finding one while I was wandering, and I thought I'd check it out even if we were going later. And just in case cuz u never know. And I'm sooo glad I did! I kinda didnt feel like I had a choice cuz I was right in the restaraunt before I knew it, and I felt like I should stay.

The design here is so beautiful too. The natural wood, and plaster, on the ceilings, and its interesting how the electricity is wired up. It's quite exposed, but it was busy enough in there, that I didnt really notice for a while.

So then I wandered around to look at the cool stuff in the shops. Lots of Colorful fabric, Chinese looking fabric. Purses, and bags and pillow cases, and table runners. Lots of metal stuff like Korean bells, pipes, bookmarks, jewelry. Tonnes of hand phone charms everywhere of course. Some shops with artwork pieces on paper. Lots of jewelry with jade and coral and wood. Oh, and tonnes of ceramics with the Korean celadon glaze (green).

Then there's the one building that is a big ramp all the way up 3 or 4 floors, and then a central staircase down (or up) with a huge metal rose vine all the way up the stairwell. All painted green and red. It's the most amazing buildign I've ever experienced I think. And how the shops are all laid out and the use of space here...or lack of space it might seem to any American. What I love about Korea, is that you can reach out and touch a complete stranger to move them politely out of the way, and there's no question about it. Nothing rude about that. Its more polite than anything cuz you're moving them out of the way so you don't run them over! Ha ha! Imagine that!

Anyway, I have to make this a bit shorter. Saturday Candice and I went to the National Gallery of Korea. Talking about architecture....WOW. Why are there not more buildings like this in Canada/America? Not many words to describe it except breathtaking. After an afternoon in the Gallery, our brains were filled up to the max, and so we went and met Luca again.

Then we went downtown Seoul to eat. And I experienced my first Kimchi pizza. Ya, I was worried too, but I ended up LOVING it. Right up there with bibimbap! Then we met some of Luca's friends and went out for the night. Woohoo.

Sunday we went back to Yangsan Electronic Market to figure out if I should exchange my new camera or not. I ended up keeping it. I hope its the right one. Sometimes I'm wayyy too perfectionist!

Then we went to the big palace downtown Seoul. Lots of pictures and stuff there. Was amazing to see...pictures do it better. I'm goign to have to go back myself just to absorb it all... The water palace was the best. Ya, sure, I'd love to live in there too! Oh, and in one of the buildings was where one of the last Korean queens was killed....and they're just restoring it. Wowzers.

And then it was time already to go back home to Gwangju. I went and hung out around Yangsan for a few hours, and then took the subway to the Bus Terminal and tried to find the right bus. That place is HUGE!

I finally got the place, and I think somehow I got bumped up to the nice luxury busses with really nice wide comefortable seats. I'm not complaining there!

Yay. Now I really gotta sleep...cuz I have to write about this past weekend. Not as much excitement thats for sure...but hey.

Later!

No comments: