Monday, March 27, 2006

Laughing at lessons

Well today went pretty good, I must say. I was praying hard that I woulndt stress out so much...and voila! It sure worked! Thank God. I was actually relaxing and having fun...
And then I went to taekwondo ...late again cuz working later makes it hard to get ther eon time. But it's ok cuz other kids do that too..so I dont feel so bad. Really, all I missed was the warmup. So then we do some drills, and all of a sudden the instructor or Kuk Sa Nim, (Pak Am-Oo is his name) starts completely cracking up laughing to himself..and I have no idea why. I think he might be laughing at me though....I wouldnt be surprised. i guess i looked quite funny trying to get back on the 'ball' at doing a crossover face block arm move called olgul-makki, and I was fumbling a bit, and it must have been hilarious... I've never seen him like that!
I love how Koreans will just laugh at you...and it's ok. Its honest and funny and critisizing and caring all at the same time. I felt completely embarrassed but that's just Korean...and that's part of it. And I was laughing as much as he was almost. At myself...if I was indeed the one he was laughing at. What made it funniest is that he has a silent strict manner...and I'm not sure what was funnier-him laughing or me not sure who or what he was laughing at. I cant even describe it enough. He was laughing for a full minute or two while we all stood there in our 'pose' and tried not to laugh ...which made it funnier as he covered his face. It was priceless!

Anyway, on the weekend I went on a tour to a famous place in Korea. It was a bus ride 2 hours away. It's two mountains that are joined together, and we hiked between them. At the base of the mountain was a small lake that had pedal boats in it! The best part was they were shaped like swans or ducks I think. Woohooo! I wanted to do it..but it wasnt in the agenda.

SO we went to the base of the mountain, and there in the crevice was what they called 'pagodas' which were stones piled up with no mortar or anything keeping them together. There were about 80 of them but two of them were the most impressive. Apparently they have been there for 100 years or so. Amazing when u think of that.

There were Bhudda statues and small caves with incense and water in or around them. People were bowing and praying or paying their respects or just beign tourists. There were the regular temples there too. Several small ones. Then I heard a beautiful sound of a drum. Stopped me in my tracks actually. As I got closer I discovered that everyone was taking a turn at drumming. I was told that it is the largest drum in Korea. Hmmmm. Later when most ppl had tried, I went back and played on a it a bit. I got into trouble though because I wanted to make a big long sound, and not just 3 bangs on it. So I did it and the rumbling sound was amazing coming from this huge drum. But ya, I got into trouble for it...and the old man 'guarding' it said only 3 in Korean...so I went back and finished the deed. Man, that was fun.

Then we climbed up to the top of the join of the mountains...and did a tour guide blurb of the stories or myths of the mountain. Why does there always have to be a story...why can't it just be that there are just simply two mountains with an odd shape and are taller than the rest and are unusual. I'd like that. But then again, stories are interesting...and charming.
There was a cave a short climb up...and I'm so glad I did that. It was a sight to see.

Then down the other side to a restaraunt for gooood bibimbap. I know one thing for sure....I'll be visiting Korean restaraunts for bibimbap in Canada. I think I'll miss it! And even plain ol rice and kimchi! And hunks of seaweed in soup. Yum. And dried up pieces of seaweed lightly toasted with sesame seeds. YUMMMY.

Then I got some souveniers...and hopped on the bus for the next item on the list. Dying fabric or making ddeok-rice cake. I chose fabric of course...and we were given a white silk handkerchief to tie up and dip into first a yellow dye made from onion peel, and perhaps a dried fruit that was yellow. Of course it HAS to be yellow! We're in Asia! I'm really growing to really love and understand yellow a lot more. The very earth is yellow here...and the most beautiful color of it too.
Then the next color option after the first fixative of a bitter salt like substance was a dark brownish green that was made from iron dissolved in water. So dippidy dooo...and there u go. Dip it in 3 more solutions and presto! Dry and iron it up and you've got yourself a naturally dyed handkerchief. It was a bit fast, and I wish I could find out more about how to get the materials and where..but the lady only spoke Korean, and the interpreting people werent able to interpret fast enough I guess. Whatever..it was worth it.
The building itself was beautiful too. The walls were made from yello earth I think, and the window frames were painted an aqua blue. Stunning.

Then we came back and went out for a big Shabu-shabu which is a hot pot that u cook greens and various mushrooms and red pepper in a pot, then you get plates of very thinly sliced beef, or whatever, and dump it in and let it all cook up...and it's really quite delicious. I tried a small piece of the beef...just to experience it..and it was some of the best tasting meat I've ever tried. Yep..you heard me. But I'd still prefer to be veggie. Sorry..cant' help it. But I feel that I want to try whenever my brain will let me. Ha. I did try escargot after all! DID I REALLY DO THAT?!! Well to me that 's part of experiencing cultures...but man...did I really do that?!!

On Sunday night I went out to see Pride and Predjudice. Ya ya agirly movie so they call it. BUt it was good. And I was crying by the end of it. I cant believe it but I was. I NEVER cry at movies. ...except Dancer in the Dark. WOWzers..that one got me bad.

The weekend was great, but it was hard just because everyone's boyfriend or girlfriend has come to visit, and I miss mine! Darnit! But these things happen for a reason...but it's HARD!

Well, I gotta sleep. I cant seem to get to sleep until at least 1 am , and it's 1 30 am right now. I'm too wired. I gotta stop that somehow. It would really help my stress level I'm sure. I'm just glued to this puter! What can I say, I'm a junkie.
Okay, whaddya know...I've written another post in my blog! it's about time! Spelling mistakes and lazy English and all. I really do teach English properly u know! Ha!
Miss you all...

1 comment:

Scot said...

Hi, just surfing blogstoday, and I found your quite interesting. I think it's great that you are enjoying your experience in Korea so much. Next time you can't sleep, check my blog out at http://projectearthweb.blogspot.com/.

Scot, Vestal NY, USA