Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Back to School! in March!

Yep, school starts in March here. School ends at the end of February, and then March 1 is Korean Independance Day (one of two, I believe), and then the next day its' back to school! Ha!
These poor kids. They work so hard. They're really in school from 6 am till 10 pm. Tonight there was a kid falling asleep in my class, and its not the first time. That's not from me...c'mon...it's from them workin long hours. I see kids out on the street at midnight a lot of times too. Usually they're out playing around by then like kids should be. But I suppose they get somewhere in life a bit better if they're more educated, and the discipline of that makes a difference.
I was talking with John the other day about that and we were saying how we feel intimidated by them in terms of how much they have to study and do study. There's a reason why Asian people seem to generally be smart, or intelligent. Because they study so hard! That's a generalization, but the general manner in which they do their work an dlive their lives is pretty diciplined it seems. But the thing about it is that they dont seem to be working all that hard. They just seem to be relaxing at the same time, like in the little stores everywhere, there's TV and they're watching it. Or in a restaraunt, they're sitting there eating or socializing. I dont know quite how that works, but the thing is that they're ALWAYS there. Stores are open til 10 every night, and who knows how long restaraunts are open.
And here all of us Westerners only work from 8 to 5. And then we go and hang out, drink beers, play sports, and stuff like that. BUT, the comparison could be the same because even if we're drinking away, or socializign then, we are still being schooled in life. So dunno, how do you argue that.
Annnyyyyway!
I keep sittingdown towrite, and I just havent had much energy for it. My schedule is a bit more draining this month. New school year, new students, (the number has doubled now for the new school year here at Kids Club), new everything.
My schedule is from either 10 or 11 am to 7 pm. Yah, I'm complaing a little cuz it's a few hours more than I've been working, but I shouldnt complain becuase after comparing notes to the other English teachers here, I've got a really really great schedule. Some teachers are working starting 6 am, and finish at 10 pm. Usually a few hours break between, but still. So I'm really thankful about that.
What else....um....not much else except I really gotta crank down and not spend money on little things. They sure add up.
Oh, and in school for the last few weeks I've been having all these stupid paranoid thoughts in my brain about my performance. Iv'e realized all the stupid stuff that goes on in my brain and how it relates to my performance, and my attitude about myself. It's really pathetic, actually. I just have realized how I think myself down so much that it really starts to happen. UGh....sssstupid! So this is a major thing that I've been learning that all my worry mostly is in my own head. I suppose it's because even though people are all around me, the language difference helps to isolate thoughts or feelings, or makes you wonder why you are feelign a certain way, and what is the cause and effect, and what part of it is cultural, and what part is yourself and your culture, and realizign those differences. It's really fascinating I'm sure to study...and quite another thing to be in that situation, and to deal with it.

What else...dunno cant think of anything at the moment. Except that its interesting how life just goes on. There's all the excitement and new experiences of moving to a new country, and then life happens again, and you have to learn to deal with it from another perspective, and I'm sooooo glad I've finally had the opportunity to experience this! Woohoo! And now I dont think I want to stop! I wish I could travel around and go somewhere different every 3 months. That would be perrrfect. You could live there for a little bit, enough to find out the gist of the place, and the goodies, and then try out the next place. I wonder what kind of job that I could get like that. Hmmmmm. A job that pays a lot of money I suppose.

K, signing out for now. Oh, it's starting to warm up and its feelin like spring. YAYYyyy! I must say I have absolutely LOVED the weather here in the winter...cold or not..it's DRY and sunny usually. LOVe it!

Ciao or Annyongkyseyoo

No comments: