Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The perfect class

Wow, I just had the best class, in terms of teaching success and I want to write it down before I forget it. I hope some other teachers might perhaps benefit.
I started the class by writing down a conversation on the board that wasnt in order and got them to read it first. I asked them if it was right or not. They said no. Then I got them to order it correctly and I wrote the corresponding number in front of the sentence. Then got them to read it correctly. I also put in a sentence that didnt fit to see if they got it. They actually did somewhat!

I want to go to Paris.
What did you do there?
I played tennis in Paris.
How long were you there?
I was there for eight days.
I want to go to Tokyo.

That was what I wrote on the board. Not in that order. A few words were different I think, but that was the idea.

Then I got a piece of blank paper and wrote "I want to go to Egypt" and folded the paper down to cover just the sentence. I explained quickly that it was a secret. Then I wrote another sentence like "Tyler laughs funny", and a few other ones to get the hint that it wasnt quite supposed to make sense in conversation terms.

I got 3 pieces of paper circulating and after a few tries and arguements over who wrote on which piece of paper and which way it was going after I told them and they didnt listen...I started to count down from 10 or 15. They had to finish writing the sentence in that time. I was suprised at how it got going, and they actually wrote sentences! Or close to that idea.

Then after it was all finished writing and the paper was full and all folded up, I numbered them randomly. They remembered their number and i called out numbers randomly from 1-8. There are 8 kids in the class. If their number was called they got to unfold and read the paper. They understood it and got laughing at things like "Jenny is babo" (Which means stupid in Korean). I used it to explain that it wasnt nice to call someone that. They know that...but its good to explain the concept of not nice. There were even a few "Jennifer is cute" and "Joanne likes Tom"! Ha ha! REmember that stuff when u were 10-12?! Wow...was it really that young an age?

Gotta run...but the gist is that it worked great. And I got them to make up their own sentence for a kooney at the end of class by getting them all to say one word to make up the sentence. It was great and they remembered it really easily and quickly! Woohooo! There is hope!

No comments: