Monday, August 21, 2006

Today is just another day

Hey everyone,
Man, it's been a while. So many things run thru my head that I have to write, but then...I try to collect them...we'll see what I can do this time. Might have to be a few entries.
Well, this weekend was a doozey..as in good and bad. I stayed up till 430 am in the noribang with a buncha ppl. Was sooo much fun. Liz and I were dueting fabulously, and Mel gave the best solo action to a Korean song she didnt even know...adn blew us away! Julian and Mel had 5 years together today, and he was being the most romantic guy, including bringing a dozen roses and keepign them for a special moment.... Serenades and everything. So awesome to see a couple like that. I'm envious!

School/work is going just fine. I've really come to a plateau of sorts in a good way I feel lately. Everyday is a challenge, but everytime I come out of it I feel good about it. And everyday there are little surprises.

I've been keeping a sticker chart, and every 25 stickers I give them a little present. One little guy, Percy, is not 'normal' as in he is a bit slow or something strangie. But lately he's been all excited about getting stickers so he can get his present. Today he got it! And he started speaking things in English on his own to me that really shocked me actually! I was wearing a tshirt that said "peanuts 10c" and he wrote it on a piece of paper and gave it to me! What a cutie. Melted my heart. I'm such a softie...

OH! and in another class...I've been changed to "wonder teacher"! (it evolved from wendy teacher) lmao! I've never had such a compliment in my life! haha. So now I come in the class "wonder teacher' style...complete with 'cape' and 'super powers'! It's grreat! I've also slowed down a lot in that class, and have been getting better results by doing it, and I'm learning alot with that one too. Like practice on ONE thing makes perrrfect. Not just "doing' the page. Obvious, but that's what it's like being a teacher. Not a dull moment.

Last week we had a holiday. Independance day from the Japanese war in 19something. So all of us whities went up to a temple/museum/hiking site and chilled out by the stream like a lot of other Koreans. Pictures on my flickr site. Got some nice ones too. And of pple! I felt quite inspired like I havent in a while. I needed that.
I need to paint soon! Cant quite do it here too much in Kroea. Doesnt feel like I can take it with me, or that it will last. Which is a bit silly, but I guess that's how it is. I think I need to be less possessive of my paintings...but there's sooo much of me in there.

I cant believe the countdown is somewhat starting for me. At least the realization that life here in Korea is winding down, and before I know it, I'll be moving back to Canada. Im really feeling nervous, and not looking forward to the lifestyle financially...like having to pay rent and stuff. And the general cost of living. And dealing with things as they always were. Nehhhh. But I need to do it too. I need a 'reality check'. I need to see how I feel in an English speaking country again. To see my family and friends and Very Important people in my life.

Its funny how much I feel that I absollutely LOVE living in a country with another culture and language etc. I just absolutely love it..even after all this time. That says something to me. It explains a lot too...about my past and how I forsee living my future too. It helps me to identify with so many people at home. People who arent native of Canada. It makes me realize how we are as Canadians, and how we are not, and how we should be. It makes me realize the stark contrast of how greedy Western society is...and how it doesnt seem like that at all here. A society that lives and has values of family first is wonderful to live in. Sure the priority of money is there, but it doenst rule their lives as relationships and famly do. There's a lot to learn about that stuff for us Westerners I think. But that's my opinion. And I have to own up to the fact that I tend to think in romantic terms. What can I say. IT's who I am and how I look at life. It's really a beautiful thing.

Anyhoo..I gotta run. Time and money runnng out.

No comments: