Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Aida

I went to see Aida on Friday! Oooh it was soooo incredibly awesome to see. It's an opera I've been wanting to see for a long time...and I finally did it---in Korea! The vocalists were right up to par, and especially the woman who sang the part of Aida. Wow... The sets were quite large, the larger ones having about 200 people on stage.

There was one song where they had a big Egyptian courtroom ceremony for the warriors coming back from the war victorious, and Aida sang above them all! It was incredible. But the best part of her performance wasnt the loudest part. It was in one of her solos and then duets where her voice dramatically de-crecendoed (geez I forget all my music terminology..so I made that up) to almost a pin-drop, but you could still hear her like she was sitting beside you. I was gasping and the Koreans next to me wondered what I was doing! Ha ha...if you know me that's not unusual! She has definitely mastered the art of throwing her voice and having the utmost control over it. It was obviously a highlight for me.

The costumes were fantastic as well. They seemed quite authentic, but the colors also told a story. Aida was in all red, the warrior and her love was in all blue, the queen was in all gold, as well as the pharoah. There were dancers that had a nude body suit on, with a sheer white Egyptian skirt. Perfect. The woman singers were in all white long dresses, and the men were in dark blue.

The backdrops were very simple but powerful. Sometimes just a lounging bed in the middle and benches on the sides, or even just a picture of the tombs in Egypt, or columns. The best one was either the solo part where there was what I think is the fallen head of a pharoah, so it was a monster-sized head in half on the stage. That sounds a bit grotesque, but it was fabulous. One super large piece on the stage that spoke so much. The other one was the closing act, where on both sides of the stage were triangle shapes in black with an entrance in the middle. At the end of the act, the triangle shapes became three dimentional and started moving together to eclipse Aida and her lover inside them as they sang the most powerful and moving song. Then the pyramid closed, and the queen came around to sing her last lament about not being able to get Aida's lover that she wanted. Such is life...and so is opera. Can u tell I love opera?

And the lighting. Now that was super awesome. Lighting is almost overdone here in Korea, and I'm LOVING it.

Anyhoo...about life in Korea. Its cloudy and humid and rainy again. I'm feeling a bit depressed and feel that I'm missing summer altogether. Thank goodness for the 4 days on Jeju Island...or I woulndt feel like I've had a summer much at all. I hear Vancouver has had one of the best summers....it figures that I've missed it.

I cant believe it will be finished in a few weeks...about 12 of them, or is it 11 now? That's just crazy. I'm feeling quite anxious about leaving here, and the certain comforts it has had, like not paying rent for example!

There is Chosuk that is the Korean thanksgiving holiday that I have to figgure out where to go. I was planning on possibly going to Egypt, but it looks like I will try to do that after my contract is over. So I think I will go to China. I'd LOVE to see the terracotta warriors and Beijing and the big palace there. Crap, I cant remember what it's called right now! But its cheap to travel in China, so I might be well off to do that...and acchieve seeing another country and its treasures! I cant believe I am able to do that! FINALLY! Woohooo!

Gotta run to class....later!

No comments: