Monday, February 20, 2006

Reverse Banana = Yello Belt!!



Yayyyy! I got my yellow belt tonight! And I didnt sit out as much! I'm so excited! Accomplishment! Never thought or imagined really doing this. Love it.
Last weekend I went to Seoul and Suwon (a city close to Seoul) where my friend Candice lives. It was her birthday on Sunday...she hit the 30 mark! We went and danced and she teased the Korean boys by giving them a note from the 'Canadian girls'! It was so much fun! It's just fun to see their reaction cuz they're so shy! Good thing they're not my type tho..!! Even if they do dress amazingly. Darnit!
So I'm watching the Olympics in Korean...kindof interesting.
Back to Seoul. I went up on Friday night....got there at 9:30 on the bus. I was planning on going right to Suwon to Candice's but I was too tired, and decided to stay in a jimjilbang (sauna). Man I love Korea for that. So about 8 dollars and you have a luxurious feeling shower and sauna and hot tub which I believe has herbs in it (?), and a place to sleep. Then a shower in the morning, and everything you need to get ready for the day...and feel relaxed. LOVE it. What am I gonna do when I get back to Canada??? I guess i'm going to have to build one myself!
This one had a nice sleeping loft. The ceiling wasnt very high though. Maybe 5' high. But that wasnt a problem, really.
So then I went by an art shop...oh man....keep me out of there! They have great ceramic sculptures you can paint or do whatever with. Man, would I LOVE to get a Venus or bust of Beethoven or something sometime.
Then I got myself on the subway (which is a feat in itself- they can be quite complicated or simple too- but it takes a lot more energy than you realize until you do it) and headed towntown Seoul. I went to see where this bookstore was, and found a gem of a place. I really like how Seoul is laid out downtown. Once you start to understand where everything is..not that I have mastered that by any means!
Then after I went and saw the Samsung Tower in the daylight! Woohooo! So, there I am staring up at it...the landmark of Seoul....and I think to myself, I thought....why am I not going UP there?! So I did just that! I went in, and found the elevator, and went up up up to the 33 floor! (interesting number)...and as soon as I got off the elevator.....WOW! I have pictures to prove it. You are standing in the core of the building, and there is a hallway to the 'circle' surrounding it. It's really quite incredible to stand there and see the gap and look down 33 floors to the ground and the little cars and people...etc. There was a wedding up there in the restaraunt and bar/lounge. Ooooh it was beautiful. I didnt go in to the wedding because I looked like a hiker in a fur coat...which is quite rediculous when you think of it...but I would have crashed the party for sure if I could! Picture opportunity!
So I stared out the window for a few minutes....and then just before I left, I found the washrooms. Every good interior designer or person who appreciates it should Always check out the washrooms!! And man...it surpassed my expectations! The women's door is in a short hallway, directly at the end. It is opaque frosted glass in white with a black silouette of a woman on it. And then ......I walked in..and ...
OH MAN....I was standing there with my jaw hanging open..literally for about a minute or what seemed longer. There, right in front of me was a stunning black and white toilet with a huge window looking over Seoul to the mountains. WOW! It tops my top 10 list of the best toilets I've seen. (the word is toilet here for washroom, and I'm trying to get that into my head)
Yep, now I'm rambling, but who Cares!
So I had to run and meet Candice at another subway station...so off again. I wish i had time to go see the big palaces there...but I will have to at another time. Soo much to do, and so little time!
Met Candice at Namdaemun Market, and went looking at all the stuff. It really can get overwhelming but its so fun to see.
Then we went back to Suwon when it just got too overwhelming! I was carrying my backpack and a heavy bag with me too...then we went out dancing and to a noraebang (karaoke room) till 4am! Man, its been a looong time since I've stayed up that late! But noraebang is perrrfect late at night! Especially when you have a cold and your voice is hoarse anyway. The reverb that seems to be permanent on the mic isnt so bad then! lol
Sunday we got up and the mission was to go and get some hair stuff to do Candice's hair. I went and forgot my scissors and everything like a dumba** . So after eating a breakfast of 'toastuh' which is how you say 'toast' in Korean (heh heh). It's so yummy... fried egg and cheese with hot pepper sauce and mustard. Couldnt be any more perfect. (wow..hows that for crazy English). YUM. Sat there looking at the fortress gate under a red umbrella. I can't belive I'm FINALLY able to experience this!
Went to the hair supply store, and got LUCKY! I got a pair of scissors so cheap I dont even want to tell you! Okay okay, they were SEVENTEEN thousand won. Take the 'thousand' off and that's how much they cost in Canadian! OH MAN! I was like a kid in a candy store! CRAZY! Mind you they're probably not the best quality of metal..but who cares!!
Then we went and got my train ticket just to be sure. Last time I thought I could catch one pretty much any time, but they only go at 6:30 and 10:00. Last time I had to wait 2 hours to get the 10:00 train which got to Gwangju at 3 am. Nope...dont want to do that again.
Then back to the house to do Candice's hair...which turned out super cool...of course! ;) heh heh... and then by that time it was time for me to go. Ugh...not NEARLY enough time to do the stuff we wanted to.
Oh, before I forget, I have to say that we saw a girl getting her nails done, and she was having the tips painted in POLKA DOTS! man, I want mine like that!!! How cool is that? The trend is to leave the nail bare looking, and just paint the tips whatever you want. A pattern, or solid or a sparkle coating that fades off into your natural nail. Man, that's fun.
Well, that's about it for now. I gotta go baste in the realization that I've graduated to yellow belt. Yeehaw! And the taekwondo master invited me to his house on Sat afternoon. That will be interesting I'm sure! I'm trying to figure out how I work this though, because they will for sure be inviting me for dinner, and I dont' want to bother saying I'm vegetarian, because they'll get all stressed out about it...and not know what to do. Sometimes I've found its just better to not say it, and just pick out what you can eat. But I dont want to offend them either. Well, whaddya do.
Sidebar-I dont like using wood chopsticks anymore! I find that the metal skinny ones are better and easier! Imagine that! Ha!
Okay...time to go to bed.

No comments: