Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Back again!

Well, folks, since I do like this blogger better in terms of presentation, I might just be coming back. What a pain, huh? Here's the latest and the update from blogeasy.

Dec 20, 2005
Yes, Folks, It really did snow here today. TONNES! A foot of snow at Least today. Wowzers, I've never seen so much snow dump like that! The weather here changes in an instant....literally! Around 2-3 oclock today it was so windy and snowy that you couldnt see across the street. It was quite exciting really. The kids got to go home early, and so did we! Woohooo! I'm still sick, but getting over it. Dont remember if I wrote about it or not. Did i tell y'all about my doctor trip yet? Well, if I did, you're getting the second rendition of it. I went to school to teach yesterday and I was hurtin! So Rachel (a teacher) made the phone call to the director Mr. Shim, and then we headed off to the 'hospital'. The hospital here was more like a clinic. We got there, and I had to put my name and phone number and address on a little piece of paper. Thank God Rachel took me, cuz I'd have NO idea what it said in Korean, although I could figure it out by context. The receptionist had a thermometer and came and stuck it in both ears, to confirm if I really was sick I assume. Then she went to tell the doctor.
So we were ushered in to the doctor's office, and he apparently just was on a break or something, because he was visibly putting his white coat on as we walked in. He sat me down on a stool beside his desk. There was a silver trolley next to the desk, which had some instruments on it. Nothing scary, just super shiny stainless steel. Looked like it would be in a restaurant buffet for serving, perhaps. So he asked me some questions like 'how do you feel' and 'where are you sick' in English. His English actually surprised me, it was not so bad at all. Its funny how you become a critic of English skills here. All the time he asked the questions, he was typing away on his computer. When he asked my weight, Rachel giggled, and he had this amusing look on his face. Not to be rude, but just because it was interesting I think. Okay, whatever! What does that have to do with it I wonder.
He then took a stainless steel tongue depressor, and said that he would look at my throat. Then he got these interesting scissor like instrument and said he was going to look at my nose, so he stuck it up my nose and the instrument opened up to look. Quite lovely and attractive, I'm sure. He made some 'discovery/approval/I've found something' sound'. No kidding, I'm sniffling away! Hello! Then he said he would listen to my breathing, and took a stethascope and put it on my back, and said 'impression', 'expression'. Interesting how these words come up that you dont really think of, but they work. Hmmm. So then, his diagnosis was that I had a chest infection. Yep...I agree with that. So he printed off the page he was typing away at, and we were done. Oh, he prescribed (sp?) some medication for me to take for 4 days. And that's it. Next thing I knew I was being ushered out by Rachel who went and picked up my purse for me. Interesting how they do that, and I trust them.
Rachel and I went out to the receptionist, and she gave us the paper, and had to pay a little under 20,000 won (around 20 dollars). Rachel said 'Give me 20,000 won' and this is how I found out. It seems rude to Western ears sometimes, but it's all fine and good in Korean language. So we went downstairs to the pharmacy, and got the prescription filled, which was another 10,000 won. Apparently as I found out later, for Koreans to get this treatment, it would have all cost 3000 won! Wow. Anyway, the pharmacist came out with a big bottle of pink liquid, and some paper packages with about 6 pills each in them. I'm supposed to take this 3 x a day for 4 days. Okay then.
The thing I notice about things here is that everything is in envelopes, or paper bag 'envelopes'. The envelopes all open at the end, not lengthwise, or at the top like I'm used to. The pills were packaged in paper that were divided into portions. I'll have to take a picture I think. The paper is like wax paper....pretty cool actually. So that's my doctor story. I took the pills as soon as I got back, and in an hour or so, I was alot better than I had been a bit ago! I really dont know how I did the day though, honestly.
Well, I'm sitting here wondering what to do with myself. No one to chat with online, cuz it's about 2 am in Canada/Vancouver right now. Hmmmm. Tv it is I think. Movie time! Oh man! I just had a brilliant thought....something to make my day happier....HOOPS AND YOYO!!! Wanna join me in a laugh? Go to www.hoopsandyoyo.com and check it out! The more buttons you click the better! Tee hee! Love em those guys!

No comments: